Friday, February 14, 2014

Worst Valentine's Day Ever

My worst Valentine's Day EVER happened on Valentine's of 2008.

This is a short story, but it had a big impact on me.

I had met a woman several months prior. We went out a few times, and I was SMITTEN. I'm convinced she cared for me too, but  in some sort of fucked up way. She still hadn't gotten over her ex, who was a total waste of life, when we met. I have no idea what she saw in him, but hey "the heart wants what it wants".

We dated, but nothing serious had become of it. In my blind love for her (I am not used to falling for someone in such a short period of time. Normally I do not fall for someone at all), I didn't' realize that no matter how awesome I was to her, I would still lose to the jerk.

I asked this lovely lady out for Valentine's Day, and she said she would love to, but she had to work. I felt bad for her having to work on Valentine's; so I decided to do something nice for her.

Instead of sending her flowers to work, I decided to deliver them myself. That ways I could at least see her for a couple of minutes. I got the flowers, I got her a stuffed animal "El Toro of Love", and headed to the restaurant where she worked. I arrived, and told them that I was there to see _______. The hostess looked at me like I had two heads and said, "She doesn't work today". I felt soooooo stupid. Normally no one else can make me feel stupid, but I felt SOOOOO dumb. I think I replied, "ohhhhhhhh OH. Oh…. Ummmm I guess I misunderstood". I left the stuff there for her, and left.

Looking back, I realize that I should have never done anything nice for this girl. No matter what I did, she would always chose the crappy guy. I just felt at the time that if I was nice enough, and showed her she didn't have to be with a loser, she would chose me. I was wrong. Three weeks later I moved to NYC on a whim.

I have never been angry, or held any ill feelings towards this woman. She finally broke free from the loser, and that made me so happy. To this day we are friends, and I still love her. My wish for her, is that she will always realize what a wonderful person she is, and that she will never allow another to bring her down again. You know for me to love someone like this, they have to be pretty amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment