Friday, February 14, 2014

BEST Valentine's Day EVER!

This post was blogged on my Myspace Blog MANY years ago! I miss my Myspace Blog. I had a lot of followers on that, and it got over a thousand views a month. WOO HOO! Since most of you were not my friends on Myspace, you probably never saw this. So let me re-tell it.

I have no idea what the year was, but I was still living in Elkin, NC. I was dating a girl (we shall call her "Sarah") that was my first love. The first time I had really hung out with her was the Valentine's Day the year before. We had a group triple date. Shortly after that, me and Sarah began dating.

I wanted to do something really special for Sarah's Valentine's Day, but I wanted to surprise her. It was REALLY hard to surprise this girl. However, I had a plan.

About a week before Valentine's Day, I started getting "sick". I was perfectly healthy, but any time I talked to Sarah, I felt terrible. If I was around her, I thought I had a fever. The day before Valentine's I told her that I was the worst I had been, but there is no way I wouldn't have Valentine's with her. I had called her cousin when I first came up with this plan. Her cousin was her best friend; and I knew for my plan to work, her cousin would have to be involved.

The day of Valentine's (it was a Saturday), I called Sarah around noon and said, "Babe, I'm so sorry. I've got a fever and I've been puking all morning. There is NO WAY I can see you today". She was MAD! However, she was a sweetheart so she didn't tell me she was mad. I could hear it in her voice though.

Sure enough, as soon as I got off the phone with her, she called her cousin. Shortly after her cousin called me to say, "It worked! I have to warn you she is ANGRY!" Her cousin had told her that the two of them would go out instead. Luckily that had worked.

By now, I had started driving all over town to pick up the things for that night. I even had to drive an hour away to pick up a Calzone from this place that Sarah loved. I got home that night about 30 minutes before Sarah was to arrive. I put the calzone in the oven to keep reheat it. Sarah's cousin had said to her, "You know what, we should stop by Brian's just so you can see him for a minute on Valentine's Day". Sarah agreed. When Sarah and her cousin got to my door, I opened the door wearing a suit. [Although I wear suits quite often now, I rarely did so back then, as a matter of fact I can only remember wearing one three times.] Sarah was surprised, and for a VERY brief time she was mad. She thought I had other plans! haha I said, "Oh, it is so good to see you madam. Your table is ready". She turned around to look at her cousin who was smiling ear to ear. Her cousin said goodbye and went back to her car. I took walked Sarah's to her table, and took her coat.

I pulled out her chair, and she sat down. I handed her a menu (I took one from the restaurant) and suggested the calzone. [I do NOT know what I would have said had she ordered something else]. I walked away to get her drink. When I came back, I said, "Wow, it really is a shame a woman as beautiful as you is having to spend Valentine's Day in a restaurant alone. Do you mind if I join you?" She allowed me to sit to take her order. She DID order the calzone… JACKPOT! I brought her a salad, and upon finishing that, I brought her the calzone. We sat, and chatted. The entire time I stayed in character as the waiter. When she finished the calzone, I brought her dessert. I think it was a cannoli.

We then went to the living room, where we watched "Hope Floats" (one of her favorite movies).

She was so surprised by all of this. I remember her saying, "But you're sick". And I laughed. I said, "Hun, I've been faking sick all week so that I could surprise you". Then, she realized that her cousin was in on it, and it finally hit her how much work I put into it. The look of joy and happiness in her face is not something I will ever forget.

I've had many great Valentine's Days in my life, but this is one that will always be one of the most special, because it was my first Valentine's Day I was truly happy.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment